Monday 3 September 2018

#ChangemakerSpeak: Meenal Srinivasan, educo

Meenal Srinivasan with some of her students



We catch up with Meenal Srinivasan, Founder & Trustee of educo, as part of our weekly change-maker series. Educo focuses on modern teaching methods to provide the best possible primary education to enable children to be prepared for the challenges that lie ahead.


1) What inspired you to set up educo? Why is the cause so close to your heart?

Stories of transformational change in peoples’ lives that you hear daily because of access to education. Children are the future and hope of our nation and it is our duty to nurture them and give them opportunities by educating them. In this way, I believe I am serving my country.

2) Can you recall an act of giving that you did/experienced or witnessed that changed your life? Do tell us about it.

My mother is a very generous person and has always helped people in need. When she was hospitalised, a blind couple she supported spent two hours searching for her room as they had come to "see" her. I do believe there is a return in every giving act you do that cannot be quantified. 

3) Is there somebody (living or dead) whose giving/philanthropy you admire? Why?

I admire Savitribai Phule as she espoused education for girls in such challenging times and with tremendous personal hardship. Being from an agrarian family background, I believe my life has changed as women of earlier generations from my family were sent to school as a direct result of this great lady's efforts. 

4) Do you have a motto or mantra, or even a quote that you live by?

Every act of giving no matter how small has a positive multiplier effect. 

5) In a perfect world, what dream do you want educo to accomplish in the next five years, and what kind of a future would you like it to be part of?

I set up educo in 2009 and our first students will be adults in the next five years. I wish their lives be fulfilled as a result of their education. This would be with either an academic career track or gainful employment – and they are known for their good character in their communities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment